This is a free crochet pattern to make baby booties as a last-minute gift for a newborn girl. It works up fast and makes a pretty baby gift; plus it’s excellent for using up the last scrap of yarns from other projects! It’s my go-to pattern for adding a touch of handmade to any baby shower presents. Happy Crocheting!
- 5mm hook
- 12ply acrylic yarn or any DK-Bulky range to match gauge (optional: 2 colours)
- True Newborn size: 7cm/ 2 3/4″
- GAUGE: 10 rows x 10sc = 8x8cm/ 3″x3″
- st = stitch (general reference)
- ss = slip stitch
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- 2sctog = decrease by working 1sc over 2st
- hdc = half double crochet
- 2hdctog = decrease by working 1hdc over 2st
- After the first ch1 of each round, start working in the first st of the previous round and do not work in ss stiches unless otherwise stated.
- To join each round, ss at the end of each round to the first ch1 made.
Make a slip knot, then 5ch. Starting from the 2nd chain from hook, work 3sc, 7sc in last ch. Continue 3sc on other side of chain and ss to join. [13st total]
1ch, 4sc, 1hdc, (work 2hdc in each st) repeat x3 times, 1hdc, 4sc, 4sc in ss of previous round, ss to join. [20st total]
1ch, 5sc, 1hdc, (work 2hdc in each st) repeat x4 times, 1hdc, 6sc, (work 2hdc in each st) repeat x3times, ss to join. [27st total]
Working in outer loops only: 1ch, 5sc, 1hdc, (2hdctog) repeat x4times, 1hdc, 12sc, ss to join. [23st total]
Working in both loops: 1ch, 16sc, 2sctog, 3sc, 2sctog, ss to join. [21st total]
Round 3 (Optional: Join 2nd colour yarn):
Refer to photo captions below.
*Yarn over hook, insert hook into next stitch and draw up a loop. Yarn over hook and draw yarn through 2 loop on hook to create an incomplete hdc (2 loops left on hook). Repeat from * 3 more times (5 loops left on hook after final step).
Yarn over hook and draw yarn through all loops on hook to create first half of bow.
* Yarn over hook, and insert hook back into first ch. Draw up a loop. Yarn over hook and draw yarn through 2 loops on hook to create an incomplete hdc (2 loops left on hook). Repeat from * 3 more times (5 loops left on hook).
Count 3st. At FOURTH st away, insert hook from OUTSIDE of shoe to the inside, yarn over hook, and draw yarn through fourth st. Yarn over hook again and draw yarn through 2 loops on hook to create 1sc (5 loops left on hook).
*Insert hook into next st and draw up loop. Yarn over hook, and draw through 3 loops on hook to create another sc (4 loops left on hook). Repeat from * 3more times, until only 1 loop is left on hook, i.e. second half of bow has been joined to shoe body.
Work 2sc, then 2hdc in the same st, 2hdc, 2hdc in the same st, and ss to join. [22st total].
Feel free to use your shoes made from my pattern as you please, but if you would like to share this pattern, kindly do so via a link to this page. You’re also welcomed to sell shoes made from this pattern but I would appreciate it if you credit me for the pattern by providing a link to my site. Thank you!